[POLL] Template System

Here we can discuss suggestions and development of amxbans.
Nothing discussed in here are certain that it will be coded or added.

What should we do about the Template System

Keep it, I actually use it
43%
Keep it, I don't use it but I like the option
9%
I don't care either way
13%
Drop it, I don't use it
9%
Drop it, I hate it
26%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 23

YamiKaitou
Amxbans Developer

[POLL] Template System

Postby YamiKaitou » 09 Aug 2013, 18:41

Alright, since we are only a team of 2 developers, I am considering taking a very drastic step in the future of AMXBans. You see, I HATE template systems. Since AMXBans uses Smarty, I am not looking forward to supporting the Web portion of this project (mostly why I have ignored web related issues). And if we want to continue to grow and improve this project, I am either going to have to make a big change, get over my feelings or we will need to find others who can assist. Now, I have no qualms against bringing in additional help, but I know how I like to work (alone).

So, that is where this thread and poll come into play. I want your opinions about what I should consider. Your feedback will help me decide what to do. Basically, vote for the option that explains your feelings the most. If you don't find one, select Other and make sure to post your feelings.

NOTE: Under no circumstance will your feedback cause me to abandon this project. So feel free to voice your opinion and be as brutally honest as you want.

sami1

Re: Template System

Postby sami1 » 10 Aug 2013, 19:07

Can you please explain what template system is?

I didn't get it.
Going to choose the choice from the polls after i know what template system is

and is it really a great and huge work for the developer? If it's big, then i will choose not to carry with it, if it is easy, then sure why not.

YamiKaitou
Amxbans Developer

Postby YamiKaitou » 10 Aug 2013, 19:36

By template system, I mean the theme. The way it is now, it is easy to add a new theme (provided you understand how Smarty works). But, it is also a pain to support (for people who are not familiar with Smarty) and rather difficult to customize.

Basically, if you have ever seen a copy of AMXBans that is not using the White theme, then they customized it to fit their needs. With what I am planning, you won't be able to easily do that any more (well, not as easily). I suspect most people are still using the White theme and this change will not affect them at all, but I don't know.

sami1

Postby sami1 » 11 Aug 2013, 08:52

Aha, so you mean it will be changed like GMBans 1.6, because i've seen GMBans has templates folder, then the name of the design of the webpart.

For me, i'll vote for

YES: If it is easy to make, with bug-free, and no pain in the a#@
NO: If it is buggy, unreliable, takes much time to make it, then i'll choose No.

I've seen many people in that white theme :)
To change it , they just edit amxbans.css

In GMBans, you will edit the who template folder and things

YamiKaitou
Amxbans Developer

Postby YamiKaitou » 11 Aug 2013, 15:17

You will still be able to modify amxbans.css to change the colors. The templates folder will be gone and and modifying the layout of each page will vary in difficulty.

As for the effect on me, I don't look at it in terms of how long it will take to rewrite, but how much easier it will be for me to support.

Jhob94

Re: [POLL] Template System

Postby Jhob94 » 15 Aug 2013, 18:01

I will be honest, you should use better one. This one isnt bad at all but a better template would be more inviting :)

Zapy
Site Admin

Postby Zapy » 15 Aug 2013, 19:47

Jhob94 wrote:I will be honest, you should use better one. This one isnt bad at all but a better template would be more inviting :)

smarty template isn't the same and/or equal as layout or style it's much more complex.
Project Leader for Amxbans.net from 2013
Head Community admin for Warzone Short Valley
Swedish Gaming Community since 2000
www.warzone.nu

YamiKaitou
Amxbans Developer

Postby YamiKaitou » 15 Aug 2013, 20:37

I'm willing to have a new layout created, I just really hate Smarty and other template systems.

sami1

Postby sami1 » 16 Aug 2013, 20:12

So this new system will make it harder for us to change the white theme?

YamiKaitou
Amxbans Developer

Postby YamiKaitou » 17 Aug 2013, 13:27

Just the layout, not the color. The CSS will remain and you will still be able to edit the colors. If you are unfamiliar with what Smarty is or does, here is a quick overview, http://www.smarty.net/about_smarty

Return to “Development and Suggestions”